Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo

The Tiger RisingThe Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Published 2001.

At times, I had to put this down or I was going to start crying. It is so sad what this boy, Rob, has gone through and continues to go through in his young life. Rob finds friendship and, through the tiger, may find peace and emotional freedom as well.

Kate DiCamillo has an unbelievable way with words. The images and feelings one has as they read this are so real and deep. I loved it, but at the same time found it difficult to read - emotionally and mentally, not in terms of readability.

Themes include loss, being bullied, emotional freedom and friendship.

Great read aloud for upper elementary. This could be used in a reading group or book club with older elementary or early middle school readers.

Recommended

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment