Friday, September 27, 2013

The Shade of the Moon by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Book 4 Life as We Knew It series)

The Shade of the Moon (The Last Survivors, #4)The Shade of the Moon by Susan Beth Pfeffer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed the first three books in this series. Originally, I thought the third book would be the last in the series. The ending of the third book was open, but I was satisfied with the way things ended. I was surprised to learn the fourth book had come out. The book jacket states this is the "riveting conclusion" to the series. I hope it is the end . . . don't know how much more I could take - as far as the horrific things the characters must live through.
In this book, Jon (Miranda's younger brother) is the main character. Time has passed and he is now an older teenager. The world and circumstances have made him into a pretty horrible person. What I love about this book is the way he grows as a character. He truly grows and changes dramatically throughout the book and not because things get any better or easier - they definitely don't. He learns through circumstances and relationships with others that "society" (as it has become) doesn't have to be right. The new world system that's been set up can be "bucked".
This was definitely the most difficult book in the series for me in terms of horrific crimes against people. It's tough to read, very sad, but it extends the stories of many of the characters.
Excellent book, but I do hope this is really the end of this series.

Highly recommended for young adult readers and readers who like apocalyptic fiction.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment